Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Homecoming

Sasha is a day old today and she is doing great.  Thus far, she is a quiet and sweet baby who likes to sleep a lot, which was fine with us because it allowed us to get some much  needed rest after the crazy night we had.

When they brought her to me for the first time, she was alert and hungry and latched on right away.  She nursed for about 45 minutes and then dozed off to sleep making the sweetest newborn sounds.  She is so little; I can't believe how light she is when I hold her.  After the initial feed, I would wake her up every 3 hours to nurse and when we were done nursing, she would go back to sleep without a fuss.  Usually she would fall asleep while nursing.  One sweet thing we noticed about Sasha is that she smiles every single time she goes off to sleep and enters the REM cycle.  She even giggled during one of her REM cycles.  If only we knew what she dreams about that makes her smile and giggle so much.  We tried to capture one of her sleep smiles with the camera and this is the best we could do.
These smiles just makes my heart soar.  She is just the sweetest little thing in the world and I just want to hold her all day and all night long.  Love, love, love you sweet pea!

After a whole day and night in the hospital, we were ready to go home and luckily Sasha and I were given the a okay to be discharged.  We got Sasha ready by dressing her in her colorful going home outfit.  Even though it was the newborn size, the outfit was still big on her.  Sasha's little face is smaller than the bear's face that is on the front of her outfit!  I later found out from the discharge papers that Sasha was down to 5 lbs, 2 oz at the time of discharge.  What a teeny, tiny little bean?!?! 

With all of the paperwork involved, discharge always takes longer than it should, but Sasha did great during the wait.  Here we are at the front entrance of the hospital ready to go home with our new baby girl!

I rode in the back of the car with Sasha to keep an eye on her during the ride home.  I also snapped some pictures of her in her car seat.

We got home around 2 pm to a quiet house because Des was napping and Stella was at school.  When Des woke up, he was so, so excited to see his baby sister at home.  Soon after, Dada and Des left the house to pick up Stella from school.  Dada said that when he picked up Stella, she was looking all around the car for Sasha because she thought Sasha would be coming along for the ride!  Then three of them went to the airport to pick up Poppa, who was flying in to see his 7th grandchild.   Ommy went off to do grocery shopping and I was left alone in the house with my Scoot.  After nursing her, I Skyped Appachen so that he could see his newest granddaughter.

In the evening after dinner, we let the kids "hold" Sasha with a little supervision from me.  First it was Stella's turn.

Then it was Desmond's turn.

We are all happy to be home and reunited with each other and are slowly adjusting to being a family of five.  So far so good, especially since we have Ommy and Poppa around to help us with the day to day chores.

No comments: